Monday, January 31, 2011

On the verge of a cyclone & war

Life is a funny thing. Just 2 weeks ago, I was watching the news about our friends and family in Brisbane & Queensland that were severely hit by the cyclone & the flood. I felt for them. Especially to fellow Malaysian students that are in every aspect like you and me, only in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

On Friday, we received a cyclone warning from our landlord, reminding us to take care of the house so that when the cyclone hits, we could avoid serious damage. It was alarming. I had never experienced any “natural disaster” before, not even an innocent flood. So this was considered as my first time ever. 

My husband was on the internet watching the weather warning all the time. Both of us later get our bags and essentials packed in preparation for the worst. I didn’t know if many people were aware of the cyclone warning… but I guess, a lot of people do because the busy highway in front of my house was suddenly not so busy anymore.

I had no idea that all the worrying and the waiting and the anxiety that a disaster was approaching was very exhausting. I couldn’t do any work at all the entire weekend because I was possessed by the possibility of severe flood. It was the longest Saturday in my life. I was so scared but everyone said that it was all out of our hands now, and that what left to do was only to pray to Allah.Alhamdulillah the cyclone lost it’s intensity as it approached Perth. And the threat was immediately over. Life resumed as normal from then on.

As the weather calmed down and routine replaces all worries, we received another frightening news that the situation in Egypt was getting worse. We have a brother studying in Egypt, though not in Cairo, the big city where the riot was happening, but he is still trapped in Egypt. This is another situation where I felt so helpless about... there was nothing I could do..only to pray that he is safe.

Didn’t I tell you, life is indeed a funny thing. It seems like there is always something that we had worry about and that we have no control over what so ever. And now, all of a sudden, the cyclone worry feels nothing compared to this.

Allah, I pray for my brothers & sisters in Egypt. Whatever your plan is, I know it is for the best. But please, please, please let them be safe. Ameen.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...