Thursday, October 14, 2010

“Your profession is not what brings home your paycheck. Your profession is what you were put on earth to do. With such passion and such intensity that it becomes spiritual in calling."


“Your profession is not what brings home your paycheck. Your profession is what you were put on earth to do. With such passion and such intensity that it becomes spiritual in calling.”

Well, you know me, I would never agree that one's passion for his or her profession should become spiritual in calling. But I do agree that passion put things into perspective, makes it much easier to wake up in the morning and harder to sleep at night from the anticipation of tomorrows work.

I quote Saiful Nang, a very famous Malaysian professional photographer, that only 5% of the people in the world actually love what they do. The remaining 95% only work for the sake of the paycheck...and also how lucky he felt to be one of that 5%.

That is exactly how I feel with teaching. I have always known that I would teach in the future. At school, I made extra effort to understand the subjects so that I could teach it to somebody. I had the biggest study group of 11 people when I was in uni and I actually spent everyday teaching and sharing informations with my friends. My third year juniors scheduled classes with me during my final year and I remembered actually loving every single moment of teaching them. Not a moment that I felt like I HAD to do it. Not a moment that I felt the time was dragging very slowly when I teach. If anything, time feels like flying in every class that I attend as a teacher/lecturer/tutor.

I thank Allah for bringing me to this path. That dreadful feeling that "something is missing" that I had been having ever since graduation has now vanished forever. I am now in the field made for me. A field where I have no fear to become myself, where I can fluorish and blossom as a person. Now I can understand why Saiful Nang felt so blessed for being able to get paid doing something that he loves, because I can too.

Educators at tertiery centers get paid several magnitudes higher than those in primary and secondary schools. Shame on the government for overlooking the important roles of these equally passionate teachers. But I stand tall with them sharing our same passion for teaching. Double doctor or not. =^.^=


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:University of Western Australia

2 comments:

  1. I used to think that I am not good at teaching, I have no confident to teach people but I enjoyed the most when I am able to share notes and additional information with friends in Uni...always become the 1st person to get extra notes and always become the 1st person to get further explanation..somehow, people around me see me as a good educator..wanting and hoping that i will end up in an academic line as someone who can deliver and share knowledge to others.

    as time goes by, i hardly explain to myself i am now in love with teaching. i started to acknowledge my inner ability that some people would never taste it though they have the same passion. Wanting to be a great teacher or educator, i have to get myself prepared..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Atiqah,
    Nice to hear from you again.
    Glad to know that we share similar passion in teaching!
    I agree, Teaching is very fulfilling and is also very noble in the eyes of Islam which makes it even more worth it. Wish you luck in pursuing academia! You will love it as I do.
    =^.^=

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...