Friday, September 24, 2010

Ell.

For a Muslim girl studying in a foreign country, it is important that I keep familiar faces around. So that I will not lose track of my origin, and to not forget where I rooted from. This helps to keep me in check. But there is no point to be studying in a foreign country but not to make new friends, learn new culture, and improve oneself as an individual by observing the diversity in human life. So I made the initiative to have a balance on who are the people that I keep as my companies.
image
PICTURE: Eleanor and Anil, enjoying a good laugh at the Club when we were celebrating Maria’s thesis submission..
image
PICTURE: Maria looking like a million bucks having submitted her thesis not long ago. She is currently touring the world and will settle down in Switzerland.
image
PICTURE: MJ and Jess L chilling out at the airport after a scientific convention that we attended in Adelaide last year..
image
PICTURE: Me, looking relieved after successfully given a talk in front of so many people!
image
PICTURE: Jess T, clearly enjoying the Champange. Being Muslim, I was only allowed to enjoy the bouquet.. =^.^=

There is Suhaili, Rasheeda, Hatice, Faizah, Alene and many other Muslim ladies that I meet once a week or so. we mostly discuss about our PhD, writing skills, keep each other in check on our religious practices, give advice on improving ways to remember Allah by etc, etc, etc… But there is also Megan, Jess T, Jess L, Hannah, Eleanor, Maria, Leonie, Tahmina, Pearl, Ruth and Anil that I meet everyday, talk to everyday about science, life, PCR, animal works, tutorials and hymens (LOL!).

I have always been the person who keeps each of my Muslim friends in check with their PhD progress. I am always nagging like a mother reminding them on the importance of writing your thesis from a very early stage, ensuring them that writing is not as difficult or as scary as most non-native English speakers like us thought and that every single baby step counts towards producing that thick stack of A4 papers we happily called the PhD thesis. But who always keeps me on the track?

It is my friend Ell, or Eleanor as I usually call her that plays a significant role in my PhD life. Today, Ell asked about my PhD progress again (most probably from having not seen me in the office for few days this week…in my defence,  I was having a viral bronchitis, and couldn’t even get up from bed on Monday). But I appreciated all her kind gestures.

high spirited, very energetic, boot camp addict, Eleanor is my PhD motivator. I learned a lot from my Muslim friends, but I also learned just as much from my Aussie friends too. To Allah, I pray and be ever so grateful for giving me this chance to meet all these wonderful people. Ultimately I aim to be a good Muslim and an all rounder & compassionate Human Being..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...