Friday, April 1, 2011

My sister, My friend

Today I miss my sister. Separated by the great Indian ocean, living in different continents, connected only by sms messages, and extremely slow broadband connection, our relationship maintains strong as ever. I call her my soul sister, but we are only sisters by marriage.

We have different parents and different upbringing. When I was small, I live in a big family where parents chase their small children up and down the stairs simply to put diapers on them. Mom used to cook and do the laundry while feeding my little brother all at the same time, and I customarily found myself doing my homework using the washing machine as my table while waiting for the laundry to finish. My sister on the other hand lived as an only child, independent and self sufficient.

Come weekend, Dad will pick me & my two brothers up to his house. The whole journey to his house always feel extremely long because I just could not contain the excitement to see & play with my sister. Younger than me yet we are as good as twins. Her immediate addition to my family was a God sent. I have always wanted a sister. And through her I found my prayers answered. She is a friend, a sister, and all in all, my other half.

I love her creativity on deciding what princess are we going to pretend play today? which butterflies to catch and then let go? What colour of my step mom’s lipstick are we going to put on today? She thought me childhood fashion, what was the ‘it’ songs that I should know, how to make a fashionable bun out of my long hair? how to use microsoft word? excel etc etc etc…

Because I was the quite outsider who would sit in one corner and not play with all the other children, she thought me to be friendly, to learn to make friends. I borrowed her outgoing personality, her confidence, her charm and her independence and make them mine. I could never be the person that I am today if I hadn’t met her.

I used to think that not seeing her during the weekdays was unbearable, now, I only get to see her once a year, if I was lucky… and only get to hear her voice probably few times a year. Well, all the more reason to finish my study as soon as possible...

Now that we both have grown to be women, she never forget to tell me how I have always been her steel, her source of strength. She always thank me for the encouragement and support that she needs to survive the world. I want to cry hearing these.. Darling, it is you who are my steel, my strength, my source of encouragement and my strong supporter… I would never have been here without you beside me. Sister, I miss you now more than ever.

Remember this song? you dedicated it to me 10 years ago. It’s my turn to dedicate it back to you. Love ya, Ana.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...